With its slippery and hard surfaces, the bathroom is one of the most dangerous places in your home.
On average, an estimated 234,000 nonfatal bathroom injuries occur in the U.S. among people 15 and older, according to a report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Protect yourself and your family by following these tips.
1. Ditch your throw rugs. These slippery floor coverings are the No. 1 cause of household falls.
2. Be sure to keep the tub clean to counteract slippery soap scum or mold.
3. Place grab bars or rails in or around the bathtub, shower and toilet. When installed properly and securely, they’ll help you balance as you stand or sit and give you something to hold on to if you do slip.
4. Take your time. The more you rush, the more likely you are to fall.
5. Get your bathroom treated by a non-slip service expert.